In the news...

Biotechnology for sugarcane: much more than just a sugar crop

October 26th, 2018 / ISAAA, US

When we think of sugarcane, right away we associate it with table sugar, the most popular sweetener also chemically known as sucrose. In fact, this grass of the genus Saccharum accounts for 80% of sucrose produced worldwide, with the remaining 20% coming from sugarbeet. Each year around two billion metric …

Ethiopian government banking on agri-biotech to help steer economic development

October 26th, 2018 / ISAAA, US

The Ethiopian government is counting on agricultural biotechnology to sustain national economic growth, the country’s State Minister of Science and Innovation, Dr. Shumete Gizaw, has revealed. Speaking during the opening of a technical communications workshop for biotechnology and biosafety scientists in Addis Ababa, the State Minister said the government has …

Uganda politicians engaged to do farmer outreach around GMO crops

October 25th, 2018 / Alliance for Science

B4FA Fellow Lominda Afedraru writes:
Ugandan scientists are accelerating their outreach to lawmakers to make them aware of improved crops like disease-resistant cassava, which farmers cannot grow until the nation adopts a biosafety law.
Cassava, a staple food crop for residents of Eastern and Northern Uganda, has been plagued by cassava brown …

With veganism a rapidly growing dietary choice in developed countries, why should we conserve livestock diversity?

October 25th, 2018 / Food Forever

Jimmy Smith, Director General, International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and Food Forever Champion writes:
In the United States last year, an estimated 6% of the population identified as vegan, a rise of 600% since 2014. On the other side of the Atlantic, the number of Britons who have removed animal products …

Genetic engineering solutions for medical and agricultural challenges

October 23rd, 2018 / Blue and Green Tomorrow

GE technology has had a very positive impact on our world. The change has been most significant in the agricultural industry, but the medical industry has been affected to. Fortunately, it has had a positive impact on the environment, which should make our lives much better in the long-term. Read …

Viewpoint: It’s time to replace our fear-based genetic engineering regulations

October 22nd, 2018 / Genetic Literacy Project

In the early 1970s a group of scientists — none involved in agriculture or food — raised concerns about the hypothetical hazards that might arise from the use of the newly discovered molecular genetic modification techniques (recombinant DNA technology) that could alter the inheritable characteristics of an organism via directed …

2018 World Food Prize recognizes action to improve child nutrition

October 22nd, 2018 / CIMMYT

As winners of the 2018 World Food Prize, Lawrence Haddad and David Nabarro are being recognized today for their individual work in unifying global nutrition efforts and reducing child malnutrition during the first 1,000 days of life. With this award, food and agriculture leaders highlight the importance of linking food …

Renewable energy and food security trends in Africa

October 19th, 2018 / BizNis Africa

The case for investing in renewables to promote food security
Renewable energy, especially solar power, can make a significant contribution to improving people’s general quality of life; their access to water, technology and information; education; food preparation options; and employment.
Opportunities for investment in these technologies are abundant and promising. Investing in …

Great expectations from Ethiopia’s wheat initiative

October 18th, 2018 / AllAfrica.com

Ethiopia provides a clear example of agricultural underperformance, as the country’s wheat production has consistently lagged other African nations. In 2012, Ethiopia’s wheat yields were 29 percent below neighboring Kenya, 13 percent below the African average, and 32 percent below the global average.
To help address these shortcomings, Ethiopia’s Agricultural Transformation …

How to feed 10 billion people without destabilising the planet

October 17th, 2018 / European Scientist

A new study published on 10 October in the journal Nature has found that sustainably feeding the world population, estimated to reach 10 billion by 2050, is achievable but only by adopting healthy and more plant-based diets, cutting food loss and waste in half, and improving farming practices and …

Past year